My experience so far: University - Home Sickness (2)

I am now back at university for my second semester - ahhhhh!
I always knew that in this series I would have to write about this topic as everyone feels it one way or another at some point during their uni experience. However, I don't think I truly felt it till I came back after the winter break. This was not at all something I expected. I mean, I've settled in now - have all my friends and classes sorted - so why did I wish I was at home?
If anything you would expect freshers week to be the thing to make you miss home the most - and for many people this was the case. I can admit to shedding a few tears on the phone to my mum on the second day - but that was more through fear and nerves than home sickness.
My theory is that the mixture of bad weather and general January blues has made we want nothing more than to see my family again - and just curl up on the sofa with my mum watching TV. This isn't an easy thing to do when you are other 200 miles away, without a TV or sofa.
However, as I found out today especially, there are some things you can do to make things that lil bit easier.
Today I made myself a massive mug of tea (from my central perk mug may I add) and called my mum. We has a nice half an hour chat and catch up - she must've read my mind because it was actually her that called me. I then proceeded to make a second massive mug of tea and call my Nan, now this lady does like a good chat bless her, which meant a 45 min chat with her also. The combination of tea and chats seemed to the job quite nicely for me - but obviously I am just a single tea-loving person in a world of home sick kids (okay - "young adults").
So other than engulfing your hot drink of choice (maybe not tooooo much coffee tho yeah?), ringing your loved ones at home can be highly rewarding.
Also, I would highly recommend a hearty warm heal as well. Either a stew (I know might be a bit eww) or soup and some nice bread, curry, chilli, pasta? Tbh, anything really that will warm your lil tummy enough. Maybe something that mamma used to make? Sorry that was terrible but you know what I mean.
Something else that may lift your mood is to listen to your favourite tunes. Put on that song that your friends from home always scream to during your pre drinks, or the one with the lyrics that remind you of your own crazy family. However, a little tip for you, unless you want to be plunged into a pit of despair - or if sadder songs (for some reason) actually cheer you up - do not search "home sick" on Spotify and listen to the playlists created. They include a collection of the saddest songs currently known to mad and are unlikely to boost your mood at all. Speaking of which, I'd better turn Camila Cabello's "I have questions" off...
So, phone calls, hot drinks, food and music - these are perfect for homesickness no matter where you are right now, university or not. Alternatively, these 4 are also useful for those of you feeling left behind or just generally lonely. Maybe you haven't left home atall, but instead those that you call home have left you - in my book this still constitutes as home sick so you can be included in my little guide.
The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone. There is ALWAYS someone that will be happy to see you. Who knows, maybe they're feeling lonely too?
So there you go - my list of help for the home sick. I hope it gave you a little guidance or did something for you? I tried okay?
See you soon my dears -
Xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is it too early?

Blogmas day 5: My Top TV Shows